Spicy Noodles & Mushrooms
Whenever I need to make something quick, I run to my "old faithful" recipe, Spicy Noodles and Mushrooms. It's healthy, and there's plenty of room for making it fit your dietary restrictions.
So here's how to make it:
- Flat noodles (or any noodle of choice)
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes (sriracha, if you're extra spicy)
- mushrooms (preferably white)
- green onions/scallions
- salt & pepper
1. Boil noodles as directed on package. Add salt to water, and bring to boil before adding noodles.
2. Chop green onion and separate scallions (green parts) from the onions (white parts). Chop an additional scallion (vertical wise) in small stripes and put in cold water. Set aside. The scallions will curl, and you can use them for garnishing later.
3. Wash, dry and chop mushrooms in chunks.
4. Add olive oil to a pan or skillet. Once heated, add mushrooms. Sauteé on medium. After 3-4 minutes, add white parts of onions and scallions. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. If you want an extra spice, add sriracha to taste.
5. Once noodles are done, add to the pan with mushrooms. Add a bit of pasta water (maybe 1/4 cup...or less). Mix and turn down to medium low. Cover pan. Add spices as needed.
6. Plate. Take scallions out of cold water. Dry and add to top of noodles for garnishing.